

Term-limit dispute puts FIFA election bid under review
Gianni Infantino’s plans to seek another term as FIFA president are facing a formal challenge. FairSquare has asked FIFA to review whether he remains eligible under its presidential term limits.
The dispute focuses on whether his first period in office from 2016 to 2019 should count as a full term. With the 2027 election approaching, FIFA’s interpretation of that period could become central to his candidacy.

The 2027 election is approaching
FIFA’s next presidential election is scheduled for March 18, 2027, at the FIFA Congress in Rabat, Morocco. Infantino announced on April 30, 2026, that he would seek another term.
That election will cover the 2027–2031 presidential cycle. The Congress will decide who leads FIFA after the current presidential mandate ends in 2027, with FIFA’s 211 member associations taking part in the vote.

FIFA’s term limit is central
FIFA’s rules state that its president is elected for four years and may serve no more than three terms. The limit applies whether those terms are consecutive or separated.
FairSquare says the wording does not distinguish between complete and incomplete presidential periods. The organization therefore argues that the 2016–2019 period should be included in Infantino’s total.

Infantino first became FIFA president in 2016
Infantino was elected president at an Extraordinary FIFA Congress in February 2016, following Sepp Blatter’s resignation. He then won another election in June 2019, continuing as FIFA president.
He was re-elected again in March 2023, beginning the current four-year term. FairSquare counts these three periods as the three terms allowed by FIFA’s rules under its current interpretation.

The 2022 ruling changed the calculation
In December 2022, the FIFA Council unanimously confirmed a view that Infantino’s 2016–2019 period would not count as a presidential term. The interpretation treated that period as the completion of an interrupted mandate.
FairSquare has criticized the lack of transparency surrounding that interpretation. The group argues that the statutes contain no exception based on how a previous mandate ended.

FairSquare questions the role of FIFA Congress
FairSquare argues that FIFA Congress, rather than the FIFA Council, holds authority to change the presidential term limit. Its letter says the three-term rule was part of reforms designed to restrict executive power.
The group therefore challenges the 2022 interpretation as an exception rather than a formal amendment. FairSquare says allowing another term would permit a potential fourth presidential mandate.

Miguel Maduro helped prepare the complaint
FairSquare said the complaint was drafted with assistance from Miguel Maduro, a former head of FIFA’s independent Governance and Review Committee. Maduro has publicly supported the argument that FIFA must apply its term-limit rule consistently.
Maduro previously left FIFA in 2017 with other committee members after disputes over governance matters. His involvement gives the complaint additional context about FIFA’s earlier governance reforms.

FIFA has not publicly resolved the dispute
FIFA did not respond to Reuters’ request for comment on FairSquare’s latest complaint. The organization has previously confirmed the 2022 interpretation that excluded Infantino’s first period from the term calculation.
The latest dispute, therefore, remains unresolved as the 2027 election approaches. The Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee is the FIFA body being asked to determine Infantino’s eligibility.
Interesting fact: The first FIFA World Cup had only 13 teams.

The campaign faces wider governance pressure
The eligibility dispute follows UEFA, the AFC, and CONCACAF calling for a review of Infantino’s conduct. Their concerns followed FIFA’s proposal to create a commercial subsidiary connected to major competitions.
FIFA later abandoned the plan after resistance from member associations. Reuters reported that the proposed unit could have raised up to $4.2 billion by selling a 20% stake to private investors.
Interesting fact: FIFA has 211 member associations across six continents.

Three confederations have opposed the proposal
UEFA, CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation rejected the proposed investment structure in late July. Together, those confederations represent 143 of FIFA’s 211 member associations.
UEFA’s 55 members had voted unanimously to boycott FIFA tournaments until the proposal was withdrawn. FIFA then announced that the project would not proceed because it had created divisions within the organization.

Support for Infantino remains divided
Infantino still has support from the Confederation of African Football and the South American Football Confederation. Several Arab football associations, including Qatar and Morocco, also publicly backed him in August.
At the same time, Scotland and New Zealand have withdrawn support for his re-election. Reuters reported that the competing positions leave FIFA’s membership divided ahead of the 2027 vote.

The eligibility decision could shape the race
FairSquare’s complaint asks FIFA to settle the term-limit question before the presidential election. If the committee rules Infantino ineligible, he would not be able to seek the 2027–2031 mandate.
If the committee accepts the existing interpretation, Infantino can continue preparing for the election. FIFA has not announced a final decision on the complaint as of August 18, 2026.
The internet is also talking about how Messi’s missed penalty wasn’t Inter Miami’s worst moment in Nashville.

The next step is a FIFA ruling
The immediate issue is whether Infantino’s first presidential period counts toward FIFA’s three-term limit. FairSquare says the statutes require that period to be counted, while FIFA’s 2022 position says it does not.
The dispute will remain relevant until FIFA’s competent body determines eligibility. The 2027 Congress is scheduled for March 18 in Morocco, where the presidential vote is expected to take place.
In other news, football leaders consider major limits on the FIFA president’s authority.
What do you think about FairSquare’s request and FIFA’s term-limit rules? Like this slideshow and comment with your take on whether Gianni Infantino should be allowed to run for another term.
This slideshow was made with AI assistance and human editing.
Read More From This Brand:



