

FIFA critics draft governance framework
Fédération Internationale de Football Association President Gianni Infantino faces a governance challenge after UEFA, CONCACAF, and the Asian Football Confederation opposed his abandoned plan involving private investment in FIFA competitions.
The three confederations are discussing FIFA’s future role, structure, governance model, and financial distribution. Their proposed framework could influence the March 2027 presidential election or provide a model for reform.

FIFA investment plan drew opposition
Infantino proposed creating a $20 billion commercial entity for FIFA competitions, with private investors acquiring up to 20% for about $4.2 billion. The plan covered major FIFA commercial assets worldwide.
UEFA’s 55 member associations agreed to boycott FIFA competitions while the proposal remained active. CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation also opposed it, while senior officials criticized its internal development.

FIFA faces joint confederation challenge
UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation, and CONCACAF issued a joint open letter on August 10 criticizing Infantino’s handling of the abandoned commercial rights proposal. Together, they represent 136 FIFA associations.
The letter accused Infantino of breaking trust through deception and placing himself above the collective. It called for different leadership and an independent review without announcing a formal removal process.

FIFA faces demand for outside review
The three confederations called for an independent review of the abandoned investment proposal and the decisions that led to it. They said FIFA should not control an examination involving its senior leadership.
FIFA had already promised an internal review of the process that produced the proposal. Critics instead demanded an independent examination focused on governance, consultation, accountability, and decision-approval procedures.

FIFA president could face governance changes
Infantino’s opponents are developing a policy document examining FIFA’s role, organizational structure, governance model, and financial distribution. The discussions remain preliminary, with no specific restrictions on presidential authority formally adopted.
The framework could become part of a challenger’s platform for the March 2027 election. Participants have also considered whether the document might provide a template for a separate football organization.

UEFA boycott threat raises pressure
UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation, and CONCACAF have discussed alternative competitions if the dispute remains unresolved. UEFA members have threatened to avoid FIFA tournaments until governance demands receive formal answers.
The immediate pressure point is the Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Poland during September 2026. Participation remains uncertain because UEFA has linked attendance to an independent review and assurances.

European Football Clubs challenged FIFA
European Football Clubs challenged FIFA shortly before the investment proposal collapsed. In a July 31 letter, EFC warned that its clubs would not participate in future Club World Cups unless FIFA abandoned the disputed scheme and moved forward with a previously agreed FIFA-EFC joint venture for global club competitions.
EFC said the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal could represent a substantial breach of its existing memorandum of understanding with FIFA. The organization has more than 800 member clubs, giving the dispute another powerful institutional dimension beyond opposition from regional confederations.

FIFA executives broke with Infantino
Internal opposition reached FIFA’s senior ranks when adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned on July 31. Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour said staff had been deceived and criticized the way the proposal was developed.
Cordeiro had represented FIFA on the White House World Cup task force before resigning. Lamour remained Chief Operating Officer while criticizing the process, showing internal resistance extended beyond Cordeiro’s departure.

FIFA apologized after withdrawing plan
FIFA withdrew the proposal and apologized to its 211 member associations for errors surrounding the process. Senior management met in Rabat, Morocco, on August 5 and reaffirmed support for Infantino.
The meeting included Infantino, Secretary General Mattias Grafström, and members of FIFA’s Management Board. Critics noted that Infantino was the only elected official present and continued to demand a fully independent review.

Donald Trump backed Gianni Infantino
President Donald Trump publicly backed Infantino on Aug. 10 as pressure on the FIFA president intensified. Trump said replacing Infantino would be a “terrible mistake” and praised the commercial success of the 2026 World Cup.
Trump had previously said he had not discussed the abandoned private-investment proposal with Infantino. The U.S. president has no formal vote in the FIFA presidential election, which is decided by FIFA’s member associations.
Fun fact: A dog named Pickles found the stolen World Cup trophy wrapped in newspaper under a London hedge in 1966.

FIFA support remains globally divided
Global support for Infantino remains divided. CONMEBOL and the Confederation of African Football have backed his continued leadership, while Oceania praised FIFA’s progress without publicly endorsing his unconditional reelection.
Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Mexico, and several African associations expressed support individually. New Zealand withdrew its backing, while Qatar questioned whether the Asian confederation had properly consulted its members.

Gianni Infantino faces 2027 election
Infantino announced in April that he intends to seek reelection in 2027. The presidential vote is scheduled for March 18, 2027, in Morocco, with FIFA’s member associations forming the electorate.
Potential challengers have until Nov. 18, 2026, to enter the race. If only 2 candidates contest the election, a simple majority would be enough to win. If 3 or more candidates contest the first round, a two-thirds majority would initially be required, with the threshold changing in later rounds.
Gianni Infantino’s leadership is under pressure after FIFA’s World Cup commercial plan collapsed. Dive into what went wrong, who challenged the proposal, and why the fallout could shape his future at FIFA.

FIFA reform remains under discussion
The governance dispute could influence the 2027 presidential election and future oversight of commercial proposals. Critics are seeking broader consultation, independent review, stronger accountability, and changes to FIFA’s governing structure.
The developing framework has not changed FIFA’s statutes or formally altered the president’s powers. Any structural reform would still need to move through FIFA’s established governance procedures before taking effect.
UEFA has defended a payment linked to allegations involving FIFA President Gianni Infantino, saying it followed regulations. Dive into what the payment involved and why the explanation is drawing fresh scrutiny.
Gianni Infantino faces growing calls for governance changes as major football bodies question FIFA’s leadership structure. Should the president’s authority face stronger limits? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
This slideshow was made with AI assistance and human editing.
Read More From This Brand:



