Home Golf Bryson DeChambeau’s team removes a reporter from the range after he calls...

Bryson DeChambeau’s team removes a reporter from the range after he calls the media ‘mafia’

0
Source: headlinephotos/Depositphotos

Bryson DeChambeau had 2 interactions with reporters in Indianapolis before LIV Golf’s 2026 season finale began. During a practice session, he referred to a group of reporters as the “mafia.” The following day, Ryan French, the journalist behind Monday Q Info, was asked to leave the driving range by a member of DeChambeau’s team.

The incidents occurred as LIV Golf prepared to conclude its 2026 season at The Club at Chatham Hills after canceling its previously scheduled Team Championship in Michigan.

DeChambeau has limited his media availability in 2026

DeChambeau has had several notable interactions with golf reporters during the 2026 season. After an opening-round 76 at the Masters, he gave terse answers to reporters, and after missing the cut the following day, he left without speaking to the assembled media.

His limited media availability continued during the major championship season. Golf.com reported in July that DeChambeau had repeatedly declined post-round interviews during the preceding months.

In Indianapolis, Golf.com senior writer Sean Zak was among three reporters DeChambeau encountered near the practice area. Zak characterized DeChambeau’s remarks as mostly joking but said the golfer remained annoyed by how he had been quoted and contextualized in recent coverage.

DeChambeau called reporters the mafia

DeChambeau referred to a group of reporters as the “mafia” while approaching the practice area in Indianapolis. He repeated the term and criticized how some of his previous comments had been covered.

Golf.com senior writer Sean Zak, who witnessed the exchange, described the interaction as mostly joking while noting that DeChambeau remained frustrated with how past comments had been interpreted.

The following day, Ryan French of Monday Q Info was asked to leave the driving range by a member of DeChambeau’s team, creating another discussion about the golfer’s relationship with media members.

Reporter removed from the LIV Golf driving range

The following day, Ryan French, founder of the golf outlet Monday Q Info, was filming DeChambeau’s practice session from behind the ropes at the driving range. He was reportedly standing behind the ropes in the designated media area as usual.

A member of DeChambeau’s team approached French and asked him to leave. Reporting from the scene said French had been doing nothing outside the ordinary while watching and filming the practice session. He shared the moment publicly on social media not long after it happened.

French later confirmed the incident on X, writing that he had been “booted off the range by Bryson.” French described the incident as strange and surreal. The incident was subsequently reported by multiple golf and sports outlets.

During the Arnold Palmer Invitational First Round Groupings at Bay HIll Club Lodge.
Source: headlinephotos/Depositphotos

LIV Golf faces financial uncertainty

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund announced in April that it would end its financial support for LIV Golf after the 2026 season. The fund has invested more than $5 billion in the league since its launch in 2022.

LIV Golf has also faced lawsuits alleging unpaid bills. Mobii Systems Group sued the league over more than $1 million in alleged unpaid fees and damages, while Fresh Tape Media has also filed a lawsuit over alleged unpaid work. Separate reports have said some players were still awaiting payments from LIV Golf New York.

LIV Golf canceled its scheduled Team Championship in Michigan, making Indianapolis the final event of the 2026 season. The individual purse in Indianapolis was reduced from the usual $20 million to $10.1 million.

DeChambeau struggled in the 2026 majors

DeChambeau missed the cut at 3 of the 4 major championships in 2026 before finishing tied for 14th at The Open Championship.

His LIV Golf season included 2 victories and multiple strong finishes. He entered the Indianapolis finale second in the season-long individual standings with 726.20 points. DeChambeau finished tied for 38th at LIV Golf New York before entering the season finale in second place in the individual standings.

DeChambeau contacted French after the range incident, and the 2 spoke privately by phone. French said the details of the conversation would remain off the record. French later thanked DeChambeau for reaching out and said he appreciated the gesture.

Fun fact: LIV Golf’s 2026 finale purse dropped to $10.1 million from a typical $20 million. The Indianapolis event also includes a separate $30 million team purse.

Source: headlinephotos/Depositphotos

Indianapolis is LIV Golf’s 2026 season finale

LIV Golf Indianapolis is being held from August 20-23 at The Club at Chatham Hills in Westfield, Indiana. It became the final event of the 2026 season after LIV Golf canceled the Team Championship scheduled for Michigan.

The Indianapolis individual competition has a $10.1 million purse, with $2.02 million going to the winner. Earlier, the 2026 LIV individual events offered $20 million purses and $4 million to the winner.

The event will also determine the 2026 team champion. Jon Rahm had already secured the season-long individual championship before play began, while DeChambeau entered Indianapolis second in the individual standings.

LIV Golf is working to finalize new funding

LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil announced in August that the league had an agreement in place with a new lead investor. The agreement had been signed by the investor and approved by LIV’s board, with the broader transaction expected to be finalized later.

DeChambeau is under contract with LIV Golf through the end of 2026 and has said he is working to support the league’s future. He has also discussed expanding his YouTube operation as an alternative if LIV Golf does not continue.

Reports have also raised questions about Jon Rahm’s future with LIV, although no departure has been officially announced. Neither DeChambeau nor Rahm has announced plans to leave LIV Golf.

TL;DR

  • DeChambeau called a group of reporters the “mafia” during a practice session in Indianapolis.
  • The following day, Ryan French was asked to leave the driving range by a member of DeChambeau’s team.
  • Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund plans to end its financial support for LIV Golf after the 2026 season.
  • DeChambeau missed 3 of the 4 major championship cuts in 2026.
  • DeChambeau later called French, and the two spoke privately for about 20 minutes.

If you liked this story, don’t forget to follow us for more exclusive content.

This article was made with AI assistance and human editing.

If you liked this, you might also like:

NO COMMENTS

Exit mobile version