Home News Countries line up for and against Infantino as FIFA revolt grows

Countries line up for and against Infantino as FIFA revolt grows

0
FIFA president Gianni Infantino arriving at an event
Source: gints.ivuskans/Depositphotos
Gianni Infantino at the World Cup final

FIFA President Infantino faces global split

FIFA President Gianni Infantino announced at the April 30, 2026 FIFA Congress that he intends to seek reelection in 2027. Opposition to his leadership grew after FIFA abandoned the FIFA Forward Enterprise private-investment proposal following widespread resistance.

Several national associations have since withdrawn their endorsements, while FIFA’s continental confederations are divided and FIFA management has reaffirmed its support for Infantino. The presidential vote is scheduled for March 18, 2027, in Morocco, but a complaint filed on Aug. 17 asks FIFA to rule Infantino ineligible under its 3-term presidential limit.

Gianni Infantino at the football stadium

Infantino proposal triggered the dispute

Infantino proposed FIFA Forward Enterprise to attract private investment and increase commercial value from FIFA competitions. FIFA said the project could expand development funding, while critics objected to limited consultation and transparency, as well as broader governance concerns.

The proposal was later withdrawn after strong resistance from UEFA, Concacaf, and the Asian Football Confederation. Opposition then expanded beyond the commercial plan, becoming a broader challenge to Infantino’s leadership before the 2027 election.

UEFA logo

UEFA alliance demands Infantino exit

UEFA, Concacaf, and the Asian Football Confederation jointly called for Infantino to resign after the proposal collapsed. Their open letter accused FIFA leadership of breaking trust and requested an independent examination of the decision process.

The three confederations also discussed alternative competitions, while UEFA maintained its threat to boycott FIFA events. Those actions increased pressure ahead of the Under-20 Women’s World Cup, scheduled to begin in Poland in September 2026.

England logo

England joins European opposition

England formally withdrew its support for Infantino’s reelection as opposition intensified following the collapse of the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal. Wales, Finland, and Serbia also withdrew previous endorsements, while Sweden, which had not previously endorsed his candidacy, confirmed its opposition to another term.

Albania, Croatia, Greece, and the Republic of Ireland subsequently withdrew their support, further expanding European resistance. Germany and Denmark were among the UEFA associations that had not endorsed Infantino before the dispute intensified.

King Harald and Lise Klaveness attending a football game

Norway demands Infantino resignation

Norwegian Football Federation President Lise Klaveness called for Infantino to resign immediately, saying her organization had lost trust in his leadership. Norway also pushed for deeper governance reform beyond the abandoned World Cup investment proposal.

The Netherlands said confidence in Infantino’s leadership was gone, while Romania suspended discussion about supporting another term. Northern Ireland expressed concerns and backed UEFA’s position without publicly withdrawing its earlier support at that stage.

Focus shot of Newzealand team logo

New Zealand breaks with Oceania

New Zealand Football withdrew support for Infantino on August 14 and called for an independent review. The decision ran counter to the Oceania Football Confederation, which praised FIFA’s progress and publicly supported his continued leadership.

Oceania has 11 full members, making it FIFA’s smallest continental confederation. New Zealand’s separate position shows that regional statements do not automatically determine how individual national associations may vote in the March 2027 presidential election.

Confederation of African football logo flag waving

CAF provides Infantino major support

The Confederation of African Football’s Executive Committee unanimously backed Infantino, giving him institutional support from a confederation representing 54 FIFA member associations. However, CAF’s endorsement does not guarantee that all 54 associations will vote for him individually.

CAF President Patrice Motsepe said questions over FIFA’s leadership should ultimately be addressed through the organization’s electoral process. Several African officials and associations have also backed Infantino while highlighting FIFA’s development funding.

FIFA says it has invested $5.1 billion in global football development during Infantino’s decade in office and expects FIFA Forward funding to reach a record $2.7 billion in the 2027–2030 cycle.

Argentina's flag being waved

CONMEBOL keeps backing Infantino

CONMEBOL remained supportive of Infantino while criticizing unilateral decision-making around the abandoned proposal. Argentina and Paraguay also issued supportive messages, reinforcing his backing from several South American national football associations ahead of the 2027 election.

FIFA has 211 member associations, and the president is elected by Congress rather than continental confederations. Regional statements matter politically, but individual national association votes ultimately determine the outcome of the presidential election.

mexico city mexico 11062026  player raul jimenez scores and

Mexico breaks with Concacaf leadership

Mexico publicly backed Infantino despite Concacaf’s criticism, revealing divisions inside the North American confederation. Grenada and Saint Kitts and Nevis also supported him, preventing Concacaf from presenting a fully unified regional position before the election.

Canada moved in the opposite direction when Prime Minister Mark Carney said he had no confidence in Infantino. Canada Soccer also joined calls for stronger governance, transparency, and accountability within FIFA after the investment dispute.

Qatar 2022 FIFA world cup logo

Qatar leads visible Asian backing

Qatar has continued to support Infantino while welcoming the withdrawal of the investment proposal. Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Lebanon, Indonesia, the Philippines, Mongolia, and Bhutan have also issued supportive statements, highlighting divisions among Asian national associations over his leadership.

The Asian Football Confederation joined UEFA and Concacaf in challenging Infantino’s leadership following the failed proposal. Potential challengers have until Nov. 18, 2026, to declare their candidacies for the 2027 FIFA presidential election.

Fun fact: Gianni Infantino added a third nationality in 2026, receiving Lebanese citizenship alongside his Swiss and Italian citizenships after marrying into a Lebanese family.

Headquarters of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), located in Zurich, Switzerland

FIFA management backs Infantino

FIFA’s Secretary General and management board members reaffirmed full support for Infantino after an August 5 meeting in Rabat. The organization said its president remains the only official directly elected by all 211 associations worldwide.

FIFA later accused some critics of trying to undermine the organization and its president. That defense, in contrast to resignation calls from three confederations, highlighted the institutional divide surrounding Infantino’s bid for another presidential term.

Voter in a red jacket inserts a ballot into a clear ballot box at a polling station, envelope in hand.

FIFA election deadline shapes challenge

The 2027 FIFA presidential election is scheduled for March 18 in Rabat, Morocco. Potential candidates have until November 18 to enter the race, leaving opponents time to identify a challenger and build broader support across associations.

Concacaf President Victor Montagliani has been mentioned as a possible challenger, but no confirmed candidacy has been reported in the sources reviewed. Any opponent would need support beyond Europe because individual FIFA member associations cast the presidential votes.

Argentina’s final ended with tensions that quickly shifted attention beyond the result. Dive into what happened during the clash, why fans demanded stronger consequences, and what action could follow.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino arriving at an event

Infantino race remains unresolved

Football’s continental confederations remain divided over Infantino’s leadership. CAF and CONMEBOL continue to back him, while UEFA, Concacaf and the Asian Football Confederation have called for leadership change. The Oceania Football Confederation has offered measured support for FIFA’s current leadership, although New Zealand has broken ranks.

Infantino remains FIFA president and has announced his intention to seek another term. The presidential vote is scheduled for March 18, 2027, in Morocco. On Aug. 17, FairSquare formally asked FIFA to rule him ineligible under the organization’s 3-term presidential limit, and FIFA had not responded to the complaint at the time of publication.

If Infantino remains eligible to stand, FIFA’s member associations will decide the presidential election through Congress voting.

Cristiano Ronaldo’s record-breaking career shows how long he has stayed at the top of world soccer. Dive into the milestones that best explain his lasting impact and how far his numbers still stand apart.

Do you think Gianni Infantino’s support from Africa, South America, and parts of Asia can outweigh the growing opposition before FIFA’s 2027 election? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

This slideshow was made with AI assistance and human editing.

Read More From This Brand: